The Health Care Insurance Office (ZJCN) on Bonaire.
The Health Care Insurance Office on Bonaire is Zorg en Jeugd Caribisch Nederland (ZJCN, Care and Youth Caribbean Netherlands), formerly known as ZVK. The ZJCN executes the management of Bonaire’s health care on behalf of the Minister of Health, Welfare, and Sport. This public health insurance system is established by the Besluit Zorgverzekering BES, and includes both medical care (cure) and long-term care (care, previously known as AVBZ). This uniform insurance for all residents represents legal equality and prevents some people from remaining uninsured. The motto of the ZJCN is: “Care for people in a healthy society.” The ZJCN strives to provide an optimal service.
Customers may expect the following from the ZJCN
• The office is easily accessible through the Internet, telephone, mail, and at the reception desk;
• Personnel strive to communicate clearly and concisely with their contacts and while making decisions;
• The office handles business quickly.
The main task of the ZJCN is the implementation of the Besluit Zorgverzekering BES.
Zorg en Jeugd Caribisch Nederland
(ZJCN, Care And Youth Caribbean Netherlands)
Kaya Grandi 91, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM
The tasks of the ZJCN are described as follows.
• Contracts the health care providers for providing care to the insured;
• Publishes a list of affiliated health care providers where the insured could go for treatment;
• Makes payments to health care providers and to the insured if necessary;
• Provide information to the insured, health care providers, and employers;
• Grants permission to health care providers prior to certain types of treatment;
• Investigates the quality of care.
Registering for health care.
Before a person is insured for health care, they must hold a resident’s identification card, locally called a sedula. The sedula is issued once a person is officially and legally a resident. For additional information on procuring a sedula, contact the civil registration office, called Afdeling Burgerzaken.
Registering for your primary care physician.
Once you have your sedula in hand, you may visit the office of your preferred primary care physician to register as a patient. Do be advised that once you have done so, you may only see that doctor under the free health care service. However, should you wish to change primary care doctors at a future date, you may do so by contacting ZJCN at the number provided above to find out the dates when you may change doctors.
Kaya Neerlandia 40, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands
+599 717-5516 or +599 717-5517
Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM (closed on Fridays)
In most cases, dental care is not a covered medical expense, but your preferred dentist can advise you on what is covered and what is not. Bonaire has three excellent dental offices as well as a dental hygiene office.
For information on dialing a Bonaire phone number from off-island, see the Phone page.